Monday, July 21, 2014

July 21 - 2014 - Tender Mercies

Dear Friends and Fam,

I'm sorry this week wasn't as awesome. It started out a little rough and I kinda faltered a little because I thought my load was too heavy to carry and that Heavenly Father wasn't helping me like I needed. But then He very kindly showed me that I need to put more faith in Him and have a little more patience in waiting for the answers and the help. He is so right! One of the "helps" He gave me this week was in the form of an awesome greenie (new missionary) named Sister Pinkston. She is from St. Louis MO and is incredible. She has the best sense of humor and my abs were literally hurting after our exchange. Being, the more experienced missionary, I went into this exchange thinking I would teach her a thing or two about missionary work... WRONG. I spent some of the best 24 hours of my mission doing nothing but learning and being extremely humbled. We all come into the mission with different degrees of 'preparedness', and if I thought I was at all prepared... yeah... seriously, these new missionaries coming in are just blowing me away. I can hardly believe it. I have never felt more inadequate! Pazienza. 

In other news, we invited like 6 or 7 investigators to come to church... and Sunday morning, no one was there. Pazienza. Then... KEVIN CAME!! He took a bus all the way to Fiano Romano from his little paesino and made it in time for Gospel Principles. He only speaks English, and the teacher didn't know enough English to talk about Gospel subjects, and since Kevin was the only investigator, we made the Anziani teach it. Really it just turned into one of the Elders and myself tag-team teaching. It went pretty well and Kevin liked it-he got a lesson tailored completely to him and his needs, in his language! Then, in sacrament... the members literally made me cry for joy- I was a little bit nervous that since Kevin is a very different demographic than 99.9% of all our branch members that they might not mesh. But. Every single brother in the church that knew a single word of English came up to him and said hello and made him feel so welcomed and so loved. Andhe really did love it! He asked me afterward if we did anything during the week and I said no, just Sundays, and he said he'd be there. !!! That is the power of the members!! They just have so much more control over helping our investigators have a positive experience in church. Man I am just so grateful to be here! 

And tomorrow, I am going back to PESCARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can hardly believe it!!! My companion has to do exchanges so we are driving down Tuesday night and might make it in time for English Course... :) One of the sisters there said the members are excited to see me and are planning to come to English Course. I could cry. I know I will cry. I am WAY more than aexcited to see them all again and to return to my "birth city" of the mission. This is seriously just the hugest blessing I could ask for right now. My Heavenly Father really loves me, a LOT. Holy Cow. Yeah.

OH!! Also, we were waiting for a train the other day that comes every 15 minutes. For some reason, it didn't come for about an hour. I have never seen that before. BUT. It meant that we met this group of American tourists from..... AUSTIN TEXAS!!! I could not belive it!!! Seriously, Heavenly Father LOVES me. Their accents made me feel right at home. We just were friendly to them, and eventually they asked some aquestions about who we are and stuff and I got to explain some things and I ended up getting an email of one of them and we will hang out when I get home. They are all professors at UT, all women, and all hilarious and awesome. What a tender mercy, for them and for us. 


Sorella Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment